CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

get involved...

Tonight, all BYU students from California had the opportunity to come together and watch the broadcast to members in California regarding Prop 8. What a blessing it is that we have the fulness of the gospel. We know our purpose here on Earth. We know the purpose of families. We understand their role in the plan of salvation. I know that marriage is ordained of God between a man and a woman. I know that I must do what I can to ensure that our state defines marriage as such. I walked the precincts once before I left for school and haven't done anything else since, but I know I can do more even though I am out of California. I can talk to my friends. Elder Ballard talked about getting involved online. So here I am. And it can start small.

Words from our prophet, President Monson: "My young friends, be strong. The philosophies of men surround us. The face of sin today often wears the mask of tolerance. Do not be deceived; behind that facade is heartache, unhappiness, and pain. You know what is right and what is wrong, and no disguise, however appealing, can change that."
And finally, just so my intentions are clear, words from our late prophet, President Hinckley: "Nevertheless, and I emphasize this, I wish to say that our opposition to attempts to legalize same-sex marriage should never be interpreted as justification for hatred, intolerance, or abuse of those who profess homosexual tendencies, either individually or as a group. As I said from this pulpit one year ago, our hearts reach out to those who refer to themselves as gays and lesbians. We love and honor them as sons and daughters of God. They are welcome in the Church. It is expected, however, that they follow the same God-given rules of conduct that apply to everyone else, whether single or married."

2 comments:

Heidi and Rich said...

Good job - spreading the word. We think of you often. Just today Spencer noticed the s on his skittle. He said S for Spencer and I said and for Sam and then he said and for Aunt Stacie.

Jordan and Nikki Brown said...

Thanks for reminding us how important it is to voice ourselves!